Our specialized care can help speed your recovery.
Our Nerancy Neuro Intensive Care Unit (NNICU) provides state-of-the-art care:
- Intensive observation and monitoring following a stroke
- Special care as your recover from brain or spine surgery
Our Stroke Unit provides high-standard care to help you recover from a stroke, including:
- Digital systems for tracking your heart functions
- Specially trained staff to help you with everything from returning to work to dealing with social and medical issues. Our staff includes:
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Speech therapists
- Social workers
- Case managers
For Ongoing Stroke Care
We offer stroke rehabilitation services, including an extensive range of services to help you return home with maximum function and independence:
- UVA-HealthSouth Specialty Clinic and Neuro Rehab
- Highly trained rehabilitation doctors and occupational, speech and physical therapists will help you along your recovery path
Steps After Stroke
When a patient's stroke cannot be prevented in time, the brain may swell and put their lives at risk. In these cases, our neurosurgeons may perform a decompressive craniectomy. In this procedure, a portion of the patient's skull is removed in order to allow room for the brain to swell. Once the swelling stops, the bone may be replaced.
Stroke Prevention After a First Stroke
We're increasingly able to provide further stroke prevention after an initial event. This preventative technique may involve using balloon angioplasty or stents in the blood vessels in the neck, or by carotid endarterectomy, in which the blood vessel is opened and the stroke-causing legion is removed. These techniques may also performed to treat narrowing of the blood vessels of the brain.
- Carotid endarterectomy (CEA) — fatty deposits are removed from major arteries in the neck.
- and — a procedure to widen and support the major artery in the neck with a mesh tube. The procedure will help open the artery and allow better blood flow.
Stroke Comeback Club
Stroke survivors and caregivers meet each month to hear presentations and share their experiences about stroke recovery, coping and prevention. Call 434.244.2114.
When: Fourth Wednesday of every month, noon-1 p.m. (lunch provided)
Where: UVA HealthSouth, 515 Ray C. Hunt Drive, Fontaine Research Park