Refer a Patient
Expertise at Your Fingertips
Referring a patient to UVA is easy: Call our Physician Direct service at 800.552.3723.
We look forward to collaborating with you to provide the highest quality of care for patients with nervous system disorders, including those related to the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves.
What You Need to Make a Referral
Before you call or fax in a referral, make sure you have this information ready to provide:
- Patient name, address, phone number
- Insurance information with any required pre-authorization
- Treatments received
- Copies of most current lab tests, radiology scans, relevant clinical notes
- Prescription info
- If requesting imaging or other procedure, provide type of test and corresponding ICD-9 code
After the Referral
- Notify the patient of the appointment by mail
- Send the results of the patient’s visit to the referring physician afterwards.
Epic Care: A Tool for Patient Information Sharing
We recognize the importance of efficient flow of patient information to our referring physicians. Epic Care Link is a free, web-enabled and HIPAA-compliant tool that makes it easy for individual providers to view filtered patient lists, see detailed information on specific patients and send secure messages to a UVA physician.
Access Epic: Sign in or request an account.