UVA's multidisciplinary vascular neurology and stroke team includes board-certified stroke neurologists, neurointensivists, emergency department doctors, interventional neuroradiologists, neurosurgeons and specially trained stroke care nurses. The team is on call around the clock to quickly provide appropriate treatment for stroke patients, which is key to providing the best outcomes.
Our services include evaluation and treatment of cerebral aneurysms, intercranial hemorrhages, vascular malformations (also known as AVMs), carotid artery disease and more. Find out more about stroke causes, risk factors and more.
Game-Changing Stroke Strategy
Removing blood clots in the brain during a stroke saves lives.
Four recent major studies show this as the best way to minimize stroke damage and avoid disability or death.
At UVA, our interventional neuroradiologists and endovascular neurosurgeons are leaders in this minimally invasive procedure. This is one more strategy we offer for ending stroke as soon as possible.
The Fastest, Most Advanced Stroke Care
- We meet the recommendations of the American Stroke Association Comprehensive Stroke Center guidelines. This means we can provide emergency stroke care at the onset of the stroke based on national guidelines. Quick care like this can help minimize or even reverse the potential problems of stroke.
- We offer some of the safest and most effective surgeries in the country – and we can treat you with the least amount of surgery more than 80 percent of the time.
- We offer the fastest and most advanced stroke care in the region through our acute stroke intervention team, advanced neuro-imaging capabilities and stroke genetics and epidemiology tools.
- We're among the first to develop or try new technologies. Recent innovations include using one of the first biplane intraoperative MRIs. This new imaging technology gives our neurosurgeons the ability to perform intra-operative angiograms and MRIs, providing the most accurate images possible during surgery. Our surgeons are now able to make quick changes during surgery, if necessary, in a way that would be impossible without this new technology.
- We are certified by the Joint Commission, the American Heart Association and the American
Stroke Association as a Primary Stroke Center – recognition that we provide exceptional safety and services.